Tabs

Monday, August 20, 2012

Shakeology: What is it and why do I keep yammering on about it?

So if you've read the info about the upcoming Fall Back into Fitness Challenge (starting Sept. 10 -- join us!), you'll know that one of the requirements is to drink a protein shake called Shakeology once a day for 30 days.

Why? Why am I making you do this as part of the challenge?

Because it works. Pure and simple. I've said it before and I'll say it again, and I'll keep saying it: I have kissed a million protein shake frogs over the years before I discovered Shakeology. I trust Beachbody and their ingredients implicitly. That's really all there is to it. I think the entire world should be drinking Shakeology for the nutrients it provides.

Remember, Shakeology ISN'T a crash diet shake like Slim Fast or nasty stuff like that. This is an all natural recovery drink with all sorts of good stuff. The bonus is the weight loss that I, and thousands of others, have experienced as a result of getting your body back in balance.

People balk because when they first see the price. So I'm going to break down the nutrition for you and you can see what you're REALLY paying for. I have cut it out of our daily routine before because I thought we just couldn't afford it. Then I didn't feel as healthy. So we (Eamonn and I both drink it once a day) quickly realized we couldn't afford to NOT drink it. I know, I know, so sales pitchy. But it's that good for you. I promise.

Read on for the nutrtional low down:

The cost of Shakeology on home direct (you get free shipping) is $119.99 plus tax. A one-month supply breaks down to around $4/serving. When you are using it as a meal replacement to lose weight that means that your meal costs $4.

But what does it cost to eat at a restaurant and at home? A fast food meal on average is $5, more if super-sized and definitely more when you live in the mountains and the value meals really aren't so value-ish! A meal in a sit-down restaurant is on average $10 or higher. A home-cooked meal is typically around $4/serving when you have a meat, veggie, and carb. Yes, a home-cooked meal may rival Shakeology regarding cost, but is that truly accurate?

Here is what you’d have to eat to get the same nutrition in a glass of Shakeology:
4 cups raw broccoli ($3.94)
7 whole carrots ($1.99)
10 cups raw cauliflower ($4.30)
3 cups romaine lettuce ($1.99)
4 cups uncooked mushrooms ($8.97)
3 raw onions ($2.91)
1 cup peas ($1.09)
4 cups red radishes ($5.16)
4 cups non-fat yogurt ($3.49)
1 bowl exotic fruit, including goji berry and acai berry ($4.40)
1 shot wheat grass ($1.95)

Total $41.19

Multiply that by 30 servings and you are getting $1,235.70 worth of food for only $119.95.

As for calories, Shakeology is 150 - 170 cal/serving (depending on which flavor/blend you choose), plus whatever you add to your shake. A fast food or restaurant meal is 400 cal or more, at the bare minimum.

The bottom line is that we need to think differently about our food, what it costs, and what we're getting in return. Are you getting the biggest bang for your nutritional buck? It IS affordable if you think about what you're getting. You could take $120 of your monthly food allowance and direct it to Shakeology. The nutritional benefits that you would receive, in return, would be worth its weight in gold.

Take a look at Shakeology again, but look at it through different eyes -- get beyond the "oh my gosh it costs this" reaction and you'll see something totally different. I promise! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment